1. At this time; for the present: isn't ready yet.
2. Up to a specified time; thus far: The end had not yet come.
3. At a future time; eventually: may yet change his mind.
4. Besides; in addition: returned for yet another helping.
5. Still more; even: a yet sadder tale.
6. Nevertheless: young yet wise.
And despite this; nevertheless: She said she would be late, yet she arrived on time.
Up to the present time; up to now.
[Middle English, from Old English gīet; see i- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.