1. From then until now or between then and now: They left town and haven't been here since.
2. Before now; ago: a name long since forgotten.
3. After some point in the past; at a subsequent time: My friend has since married and moved to California.
1. Continuously from: They have been friends since childhood.
2. Intermittently from: She's been skiing since childhood.
1. During the period subsequent to the time when: He hasn't been home since he graduated.
2. Continuously from the time when: They have been friends ever since they were in grade school.
3. Inasmuch as; because: Since you're not interested, I won't tell you about it.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.