1. The act or an instance of running.
2. The power or ability to run.
3. Sports The exercise or sport of someone who runs.
1. Ongoing over a period of time: a running conversation; a running joke among us.
2. Set in continuous or unbroken lines: running text.
3. Printed at the top or bottom of every page or every other page: a running title; a running footer.
In a consecutive way: four years running.
in the running
1. Entered as a contender in a competition.
2. Having the possibility of winning or placing well in a competition.
out of the running
1. Not entered as a contender in a competition.
2. Having no possibility of winning or placing well in a competition.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus