1. A person or animal that has run away.
2. Something that has escaped control or proper confinement.
3. Informal An easy victory.
1. Escaping or having escaped restraint, captivity, or control: runaway horses; runaway children.
2. Out of control: a runaway car; runaway inflation.
3. Easily won: a runaway victory.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.