1. Ascending, sloping upward, or advancing: a rising tide.
2. Developing or emerging: the rising generation.
3. Increasing in power or influence: a rising nation.
4. About to begin a certain grade or educational level: rising seniors.
1. The action of one that rises.
2. An uprising; an insurrection.
3. A slope or hill.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.