1. Of, relating to, or resembling a riot.
2. Participating in or inciting to riot or uproar.
3. Uproarious; boisterous: a riotous party.
4. Dissolute; wanton: riotous living.
5. Abundant or luxuriant: a riotous growth.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.