tr.v. rep·re·sent·ed, rep·re·sent·ing, rep·re·sents
a. To have as a meaning, suggestion, or association; stand for or symbolize: The rose represents beauty. The bald eagle represents the United States.
b. To indicate or communicate by signs or symbols: Letters of the alphabet represent sounds.
a. To depict in art; portray: The painting represents a woman wearing a hat.
b. To describe or present in words; set forth: The article represents the shortcomings of our school system in some detail.
c. To act the part or role of: represented the villain in the story.
3. To present clearly to the mind: How are sense data represented to the mind?
4. To draw attention to by way of remonstrance or protest: Our parents represented to us the need for greater caution.
5. To describe or put forward (a person or thing) as an embodiment of a specified quality: tried to represent his opponent as untrustworthy.
a. To serve as a delegate or agent for: She represents a district that is very concerned about high rents.
b. To act as a spokesperson for.
7. To be an example or examples of: The museum had several paintings representing the artist's early style.
8. To be the equivalent of; amount to: The money in the bank represents the better part of their life savings.
[Middle English representen, from Old French representer, from Latin repraesentāre, to show : re-, re- + praesentāre, to present; see PRESENT2.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus