1. Tattered, frayed, or torn: ragged clothes.
2. Dressed in tattered or threadbare clothes: a ragged scarecrow.
3. Unkempt or shaggy: ragged hair.
4. Having an irregular surface or edge; uneven or jagged in outline: a column of text set with a ragged right margin.
5. Imperfect; uneven: The actor gave a ragged performance.
6. Harsh; rasping: a ragged cough.
7. Exhausted or worn out: Don't run yourself ragged preparing for the holidays.
[Middle English, from ragge, rag; see RAG1.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.