1. A question to be considered, solved, or answered: math problems.
a. A situation, matter, or person that is hard to deal with or understand: was having problems breathing; considered the main problem to be his boss. See Usage Note at dilemma.
b. A personal matter that causes one difficulty or needs to be dealt with: felt her tyrannical boss had deep-seated problems.
3. A misgiving, objection, or complaint: I have a problem with his cynicism.
1. Difficult to deal with or control: a problem child.
2. Dealing with a moral or social problem: a problem play.
1. Used to express confirmation of or compliance with a request.
2. Used to acknowledge an expression of gratitude.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.