pos·te·ri·or (pŏ-stîrē-ər, pō-)
1. Located behind a part or toward the rear of a structure.
2. Relating to the caudal end of the body in quadrupeds or the back of the body in humans and other primates.
3. Botany Next to or facing the main stem or axis.
4. Coming after in order; following.
5. Following in time; subsequent.
[Latin, comparative of posterus, coming after, from post, afterward; see apo- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.