pa·ter·nos·ter (pā′tər-nŏstər, pä′-, păt′ər-)
1. often Paternoster The Lord's Prayer.
2. One of the large beads on a rosary on which the Lord's Prayer is said.
3. A sequence of words spoken as a prayer or a magic formula.
4. A weighted fishing line having several jointed attachments for hooks connected by beadlike swivels.
5. An elevator constructed of a series of doorless compartments hung on chains that move slowly and continuously, allowing passengers to step on and off at will.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.