a. Being the remaining one of two or more: the other ear.
b. Being the remaining ones of several: His other books are still in storage.
2. Different from that or those implied or specified: Any other person would tell the truth.
3. Of a different character or quality: "a strange, other dimension ... where his powers seemed to fail" (Lance Morrow).
4. Of a different time or era either future or past: other centuries; other generations.
5. Additional; extra: I have no other shoes.
6. Opposite or contrary; reverse: the other side.
7. Alternate; second: every other day.
8. Of the recent past: just the other day.
a. The remaining one of two or more: One took a taxi, and the other walked home.
b. others The remaining ones of several: After her departure the others resumed the discussion.
a. A different person or thing: one hurricane after the other.
b. An additional person or thing: How many others will come later?
c. often Other A person or thing considered to represent or epitomize difference or an outgroup. Used with the.
1. A different or an additional person or thing: We'll get someone or other to replace him.
2. others People aside from oneself: "the eyes of others our prisons; their thoughts our cages" (Virginia Woolf).
In another way; otherwise; differently: The car performed other than perfectly.
[Middle English, from Old English ōther; see al-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus