nude (nd, nyd)
adj. nud·er, nud·est
1. Having no clothing; naked.
2. Permitting or featuring full exposure of the body: a nude beach.
3. Having or being one of a variety of colors, such as pinkish beige, tan, or brown, that are similar to a skin tone. Used of clothing and makeup with respect to the skin tone of the wearer.
1. An unclothed human figure, especially an artistic representation.
2. The condition of being unclothed.
[Latin nūdus; see nogw- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
nudi·ty (ndĭ-tē, ny-), nudeness n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.