1. Situated in, toward, or facing the north.
2. Coming from the north: northern breezes.
3. Native to or growing in the north.
4. often Northern Of, relating to, or characteristic of northern regions or the North.
5. Being north of the equator.
[Middle English northerne, from Old English; see ner-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.