1. Situated in, toward, or facing the north.
2. Coming from the north: northern breezes.
3. Native to or growing in the north.
4. often Northern Of, relating to, or characteristic of northern regions or the North.
5. Being north of the equator.
[Middle English northerne, from Old English; see ner-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendicies
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.