1. The cardinal number equal to 8 + 1.
2. The ninth in a set or sequence.
3. Something having nine parts, units, or members.
4. Games A playing card marked with nine pips.
5. A set of nine persons or things, especially:
a. Baseball The nine players on a side, or the whole team.
b. Nine Greek Mythology The nine Muses.
6. A size, as in clothing or shoes, designated as nine.
7. Sports The first or second 9 holes of an 18-hole golf course.
to the nines Informal
To the highest degree: dressed to the nines.
[Middle English, from Old English nigon; see new in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
nine adj. & pron.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.