1. A brief, indefinite interval of time.
a. A specific point in time, especially the present time: He is not here at the moment.
b. A point in time that is gratifying or noteworthy: Even working on a dictionary has its moments.
c. An occasion affording an opportunity: viewed the blunder as a teachable moment.
3. A particular period of importance, influence, or significance in a series of events or developments: a great moment in history; waiting for her big moment.
4. Outstanding significance or value; importance: a discovery of great moment.
5. A brief period of time that is characterized by a quality, such as excellence, suitability, or distinction: a lackluster performance that nevertheless had its moments.
a. An essential or constituent element, as of a complex idea.
b. A phase or aspect of a logically developing process.
7. Abbr. M Physics
a. The product of a quantity, such as force or mass, and its perpendicular distance from a reference point.
b. The tendency to cause rotation about a point or axis.
8. Statistics The expected value of a positive integer power of a random variable. The first moment of a random variable is the mean of its probability distribution.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin mōmentum, from *movimentum; see MOMENTUM.]
Synonyms: moment, instant, minute1, second1, jiffy, flash
These nouns denote a brief interval of time. A moment is an indeterminately short but significant period: I'll be with you in a moment. Instant is a period of time almost too brief to detect; it implies haste: He hesitated for just an instant. Minute is often interchangeable with moment and second with instant: The alarm will ring any minute. I'll be back in a second. Jiffy and flash are somewhat informal and usually combine with in a; in a jiffy means in a short space of time, while in a flash suggests the almost imperceptible duration of a flash of light: He went to the store but will be back in a jiffy. She finished the job in a flash. See Also Synonyms at importance.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus