1. Relating to, situated in, or extending toward the middle; median.
2. Linguistics Being a sound, syllable, or letter occurring between the initial and final positions in a word or morpheme.
3. Mathematics Being or relating to an average or a mean.
4. Average; ordinary.
1. A voiced stop, such as (b), (d), or (g). Also called media2.
2. A sound, letter, or form of a letter that is neither initial nor final.
[Late Latin mediālis, from Latin medius, middle; see medhyo- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.