1. Of, relating to, or resulting from the manufacturing industry: industrial development; industrial pollution.
2. Having a highly developed manufacturing industry: an industrial nation.
3. Employed, required, or used in the manufacturing industry: industrial workers; industrial diamonds.
1. A company engaged in the manufacturing industry.
2. A person employed in the manufacturing industry.
3. A style of rock music marked by harsh rhythms, little melody, and nihilistic lyrics.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.