1. Emitting visible light as a result of being heated.
2. Shining brilliantly; very bright. See Synonyms at bright.
3. Characterized by ardent emotion, intensity, or brilliance:an incandescent performance.
4. Of or relating to a light bulb conning a filament that is heated to incandescence by an electric current.
1. An incandescent light bulb.
2. A lamp that is fitted with an incandescent light bulb.
(click for a larger image)incandescent
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.