n. pl. hundred or hun·dreds
1. The cardinal number equal to 10 × 10 or 102.
2. The number in the third position left of the decimal point in an Arabic numeral.
3. A one-hundred-dollar bill.
4. hundreds The numbers between 100 and 999: an attendance figure estimated in the hundreds.
5. An administrative division of some counties in England and the United States.
[Middle English, from Old English; see dek in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.