1. A rounded mass or protuberance, such as the fleshy structure on the back of a camel or of some cattle.
2. A deformity of the back in humans caused by an abnormal convex curvature of the upper spine.
3. Vulgar Slang The act or an instance of having sexual intercourse.
a. A low mound of earth; a hummock.
b. A mountain range.
5. Chiefly British A fit of depression; an emotional slump.
v. humped, hump·ing, humps
1. To bend or round into a hump; arch.
a. To exert (oneself).
b. To carry, especially on the back.
3. Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse with.
1. Slang To exert oneself.
2. Slang To hurry.
3. Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse.
over the hump
Past the worst or most difficult part or stage: At last I'm over the hump on my term paper.
[Probably of Low German origin.]
humped (hŭmpt) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.