1. A covering, such as a hat or helmet, for the head.
2. An orthodontic brace extending around the head from one side of the mouth to the other, used to reposition the teeth or to restrict the growth of the upper jaw.
3. The part of a harness that fits about a horse's head.
4. The rigging for hauling or lifting located at the head of a mine shaft.
5. Nautical The rigging on the forward sails of a craft.
(click for a larger image)headgear
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.