1. Of, relating to, made of, or containing gold.
a. Having the color of gold or a yellow color suggestive of gold.
b. Lustrous; radiant: the golden sun.
c. Suggestive of gold, as in richness or splendor: a golden voice.
3. Of the greatest value or importance; precious.
4. Marked by peace, prosperity, and often creativeness: a golden era.
5. Very favorable or advantageous; excellent: a golden opportunity.
6. Having a promising future; seemingly assured of success: a golden generation.
7. Of or relating to a 50th anniversary.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.