1. Of, relating to, made of, or containing gold.
a. Having the color of gold or a yellow color suggestive of gold.
b. Lustrous; radiant: the golden sun.
c. Suggestive of gold, as in richness or splendor: a golden voice.
3. Of the greatest value or importance; precious.
4. Marked by peace, prosperity, and often creativeness: a golden era.
5. Very favorable or advantageous; excellent: a golden opportunity.
6. Having a promising future; seemingly assured of success: a golden generation.
7. Of or relating to a 50th anniversary.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.