n. often Gentile
1. A person who is not Jewish.
2. Archaic A pagan or heathen.
3. Mormon Church A non-Mormon.
1. often Gentile Of or relating to a gentile.
2. Of or relating to a gens, tribe, or people.
[Middle English gentil, from Late Latin gentīlis, pagan, from Latin, of the same clan; see GENTLE.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.