1. A meeting, especially one that is unplanned, unexpected, or brief: a chance encounter in the park.
2. A hostile or adversarial confrontation: a tense naval encounter.
v. en·coun·tered, en·coun·ter·ing, en·coun·ters
1. To meet, especially unexpectedly; come upon: encountered an old friend on the street.
2. To confront in battle or competition: encountered last year's champion.
3. To experience or undergo: We have encountered numerous obstacles.
To meet, especially unexpectedly.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.