adj. earth·i·er, earth·i·est
1. Of, consisting of, or resembling earth: an earthy smell.
2. Of or characteristic of this world; worldly.
3. Crude or off-color; indecent: an earthy joke.
4. Hearty or uninhibited; natural: an earthy enjoyment of life.
5. Unadorned and simple in style: an earthy homemade stew.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.