1. A particular order, distribution, or placement: a pleasing disposal of plants and lawn.
2. A particular method of attending to or settling matters.
3. Transference by gift or sale.
4. The act or process of getting rid of something.
5. An electric device installed below a sink that grinds food waste so it can be flushed away.
6. The liberty or power to dispose of something: funds at our disposal.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.