1. The act of deposing, as from high office.
2. The act of depositing, especially the laying down of matter by a natural process.
3. Something deposited; a deposit.
4. Law Sworn testimony recorded for use in court at a later date.
5. Deposition The removal of Jesus from the cross.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.