1. The act of deposing, as from high office.
2. The act of depositing, especially the laying down of matter by a natural process.
3. Something deposited; a deposit.
4. Law Sworn testimony recorded for use in court at a later date.
5. Deposition The removal of Jesus from the cross.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.