1. Capable of being converted: a convertible sofa bed.
2. Having a top that can be folded back or removed: a convertible automobile.
3. Lawfully exchangeable for gold or another currency: dollars convertible into yen.
1. Something that can be converted.
2. A convertible automobile.
3. A convertible security.
(click for a larger image)convertible
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.