1. The quality of being suitable to one's comfort, purposes, or needs: the convenience of living near shops, schools, and libraries.
2. Personal comfort or advantage: services that promote the customer's convenience.
3. Something that increases comfort or saves work: household conveniences such as a washing machine, an electric can opener, and disposable diapers. See Synonyms at amenity.
4. A suitable or agreeable time: Fill out the form at your earliest convenience.
5. Chiefly British A lavatory.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.