v. con·trib·ut·ed, con·trib·ut·ing, con·trib·utes
1. To give or supply in common with others; give to a common fund or for a common purpose.
2. To submit for publication: contributed two stories to the summer issue.
1. To make a contribution: contributes to several charities.
2. To help bring about a result; act as a factor: Exercise contributes to better health.
3. To submit material for publication.
[Latin contribuere, contribūt-, to bring together : com-, com- + tribuere, to grant; see TRIBUTE.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.