a. A system of signals used to represent letters or numbers in transmitting messages.
b. A system of symbols, letters, or words given certain arbitrary meanings, used for transmitting messages requiring secrecy or brevity.
c. An access code.
d. A special command, such as a sequence of keystrokes, that allows a user to activate a hidden or accidental feature in a computer program or video game.
a. The information that constitutes a specific computer program.
b. A system of symbols and rules that serve as instructions for a computer.
3. Genetics The genetic code.
a. A systematically arranged and comprehensive collection of laws.
b. A systematic collection of regulations or rules of procedure or conduct: a building code.
5. Medicine Code blue.
6. Slang A patient whose heart has stopped beating, as in cardiac arrest.
v. cod·ed, cod·ing, codes
1. To convert (a message, for example) into code.
2. To systematize and arrange (laws and regulations) into a code.
3. To assign a code to (something) for identification or classification: coded each response to the survey by age and gender.
4. To express or convey (words) in a manner that implies a different meaning: a novel that codes references to a character's sexuality in descriptions of clothing.
a. To specify the genetic code for an amino acid or a polypeptide: a gene that codes for an enzyme.
b. To specify the genetic code for a trait or characteristic: a gene that codes for red hair.
2. Computers To write or revise a computer program.
3. Slang To go into cardiac arrest.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin cōdex, book; see CODEX.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus