1. The act of splitting or cleaving.
2. The state of being split or cleft; a fissure or division.
3. Mineralogy The splitting or tendency to split of a crystallized substance along definite crystalline planes, yielding smooth surfaces.
a. The series of mitotic cell divisions that produces a blastula from a fertilized ovum. It is the basis of the multicellularity of complex organisms. Also called segmentation.
b. Any single cell division in such a series.
5. Chemistry The splitting of a complex molecule, such as a polysaccharide, into simpler molecules.
6. Informal The cleft between a woman's breasts as revealed by a low-cut garment.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.