1. One that chops: a vegetable chopper.
2. Archaeology A crudely flaked core tool, especially one of the early Paleolithic Period.
3. A device that interrupts an electric current or a beam of radiation.
4. Informal A helicopter.
5. choppers Slang Teeth, especially a set of false teeth.
6. Informal A motorcycle, especially one that is customized.
7. Baseball A ground ball that is hit with a chopping swing, especially one that bounces high off the infield.
intr. & tr.v. chop·pered, chop·per·ing, chop·pers
Informal To travel by helicopter or transport (someone or something) by helicopter.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.