a. Being without ceremony or formality; relaxed or informal: a casual evening with friends.
b. Unpremeditated or offhand: a casual remark.
c. Suited for everyday wear or informal use: casual clothing.
2. Not serious or thorough; superficial: a casual inspection; a casual understanding of French.
3. Showing little interest or concern; nonchalant: "speaks with casual aplomb about being shot at" (Janelle Brown).
4. Occurring or being such by chance: "in the first months when I was pregnant, before it was obvious to the casual observer" (Anne Roiphe). See Synonyms at chance.
a. Occurring at irregular or infrequent intervals; occasional: casual employment at a factory; a casual correspondence with a former teacher.
b. Employed on an irregular basis: casual workers.
a. Socialized with only occasionally; not close or intimate: a casual acquaintance.
b. Being or occurring between sexual partners who are not in an established relationship: casual lovers; casual sex.
1. One that serves or appears at irregular intervals, especially a temporary worker.
2. casuals Casualwear: sent my casuals to the cleaners.
3. A soldier temporarily attached to a unit while awaiting permanent assignment.
[Middle English casuel, due to chance, unpredictable, from Old French, from Latin cāsuālis, from cāsus, event; see CASE1.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus