1. Deficient in or lacking blood.
2. Pale and anemic in color: smiled with bloodless lips.
3. Achieved without bloodshed: a bloodless coup.
4. Lacking vivacity or spirit: a long, bloodless speech.
5. Devoid of human emotion or feeling: charts of bloodless economic indicators.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.