blond also blonde (blŏnd)
adj. blond·er, blond·est
1. Having fair hair and skin: blond Scandinavians.
2. Of a flaxen or golden color or of any light shade of auburn or pale yellowish brown: blond hair.
3. Light-colored through bleaching: blond furniture.
1. A person with fair hair and skin.
2. A light yellowish brown to dark grayish yellow.
[Middle English blounde, from Old French blonde, of Germanic origin; see bhel-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.