1. Beads or the material used for making them.
2. Ornamentation with beads. Also called beadwork.
3. Architecture A narrow, half-rounded molding; a bead.
4. A narrow piece of openwork lace through which ribbon may be run.
5. Tiny drops of condensation, as on the outside of a glass.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.