a. A way in which something can be viewed by the mind: looked at all aspects of the situation.
b. A characteristic or feature of something: a novel with many unusual aspects.
2. A particular look or facial expression; mien: "He was serious of aspect but wholly undistinguished" (Louis Auchincloss).
3. Appearance to the eye, especially from a specific vantage point: "many small unsightly hillocks ... that had the aspect of graves" (Edgar Allan Poe).
4. A position facing or commanding a given direction; exposure: a building with a southern aspect.
5. A side or surface facing in a particular direction: the ventral aspect of the body.
a. The configuration of the stars, constellations, or planets in relation to one another.
b. This configuration, thought by astrologers to influence human affairs.
a. A property of verbs in which the action or state is related to the passage of time, especially in reference to completion, duration, or repetition.
b. A set or category of verb forms indicating such a relation.
8. Archaic An act of looking or gazing.
[Middle English, from Latin aspectus, a view, from past participle of aspicere, to look at : ad-, ad- + specere, to look; see spek- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
as·pectu·al (ă-spĕkch-əl) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus