1. The act or an instance of coming into sight.
2. The act or an instance of coming into public view: The author made a rare personal appearance.
3. Outward aspect: an untidy appearance.
4. Something that appears; a phenomenon.
5. A superficial aspect; a semblance: keeping up an appearance of wealth.
6. appearances Outward indications; circumstances: a cheerful person, to all appearances.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.