1. One more; an additional: had another cup of coffee.
2. Distinctly different from the first: took another route to town.
3. Some other: put it off to another day.
1. An additional one: one encore followed by another.
2. A different one: This shirt is too big; I'll try another.
3. One of an undetermined number or group: for one reason or another. See Usage Note at each other.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.