1. Recurring, done, or performed every year; yearly: an annual medical examination.
2. Of, relating to, or determined by a year: an annual income.
3. Botany Living or growing for only one year or season.
1. A periodical published yearly; a yearbook.
2. Botany A plant that completes its entire life cycle in a single growing season.
[Middle English annuel, from Old French, from Late Latin annuālis, ultimately from Latin annus, year; see at- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.