1. Being of advanced age; old.
2. Characteristic of old age.
3. (ājd) Having reached the age of: aged three.
4. (ājd) Brought to a desired ripeness or maturity: aged cheese.
5. Geology Approaching the base level of erosion.
Elderly people considered as a group. Used with the.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Indo-European & Semitic Roots Appendices
Thousands of entries in the dictionary include etymologies that trace their origins back to reconstructed proto-languages. You can obtain more information about these forms in our online appendices:
The Indo-European appendix covers nearly half of the Indo-European roots that have left their mark on English words. A more complete treatment of Indo-European roots and the English words derived from them is available in our Dictionary of Indo-European Roots.