1. The Atlantic Ocean.
2. The westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family. Also called West Atlantic.
1. Of, in, or near the Atlantic Ocean.
2. Of, on, or near the eastern coast of the United States.
3. Of or concerning countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean, especially those of Europe and North America.
4. Of or relating to the westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family.
[Middle English Atlantik, from Latin (mare) Atlanticum, Atlantic (sea), from Greek (pelagos) Atlantikos, from Atlās, Atlant-, Atlas, Mount Atlas (in west Africa, on which the heavens were believed to rest); see telə- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.
American Heritage Dictionary Products
The American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms
The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus
Curious George's Dictionary
The American Heritage Children's Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
The American Heritage Student Grammar Dictionary
The American Heritage Desk Dictionary + Thesaurus
The American Heritage Science Dictionary
The American Heritage Dictionary of Business Terms
The American Heritage Student Dictionary
The American Heritage Essential Student Thesaurus