1. A clear hard variety of corundum used as a gemstone that is usually blue but may be any color except red.
2. A corundum gem.
3. The blue color of a gem sapphire.
1. Made of or resembling a gem sapphire.
2. Having the color of a blue sapphire.
3. Of or relating to a 65th anniversary.
[Middle English saphir, from Old French safir, from Latin sapphīrus, from Greek sappheiros, of Semitic origin; akin to Hebrew sappîr, a precious stone.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage Dictionary Blog
Check out our blog, updated regularly, for new words and revised definitions, interesting images from the 5th edition, discussions of usage, and more.